On February 14, 1867 the Sacramento Children’s home was established after countless citizens noted that children were living on the riverbanks. Shortly after the Sacramento Gold Rush, over thirty young boys were taken into what became an orphanage. The orphanage developed as a children's farm association and foundling home. Since the 1800's, the home has become a residential treatment center for young boys who have dealt with social and anger issues. The Sacramento Children's Home also serves approximately 4,200 children and 3,700 families through residential and community-based programs each year.
"The Children’s home opened in 1867. It’s the first charity in Sacramento. Wealthy Ladies who saw the orphans with no place to live, paid a widow woman to open her house to them in 1858. They spent the next 9 nine years raising money to open the orphanage which did Feb. 14, 1867 at 18th and L Streets in Sacramento. In 1900 they moved to the location where it is today on Sutterville Rd. Orphanages were discontinued in the 1950’s and kids went to foster care. We became a treatment center for those who failed many foster homes. Today, we get grants and funds to expand our programs such as Family Resource Centers and Crisis Nurseries. These places are highly successful in teaching parenting skills and helping parents in crisis. Fewer kids are removed from the Home by Child Protective services which is excellent as the goal is always to keep families together."